You've chosen your gender and your name. You've received your Clan Keyword. You've started to play. In the game, you will be asked to pick your family (thus receiving a Professional Keyword), and your Runes. We'll talk a bit about them first.
Glorantha is made of Runes the way our universe is made of Periodic table elements. The Runes are powers, essences, gods, and spirits all at the same time. The Runes combine to create everything. For example, seaweed might be composed of the Runes for Water and Plant, fungi might be made up of Darkness and Plant, and cacti might be created from Fire and Plant.
Humans contain many Runic forces, but in every human being three are the most dominant. To pick yours, answer the following questions:
What is your nature?
1. Cold, cruel, and secretive
2. Mercurial, fluid, and ever changing
3. Pragmatic, prudent, and worldly
4. Passionate, violent, and unpredictable
5. Proud, loyal, and pure
Notes: 85% of Heortling men are #4, while 85% of Heortling women are #3. You can chose one of the others, but it will make things a bit more difficult for you down the road.
What is your personality like?
1. Forgiving, merciful, and peaceful
2. Destructive, reckless, and selfish
3. Generous and lustful
4. Relentless and unemotional
5. Stubborn, inflexible, and exacting
6. Adventurous, dynamic, and impulsive
7. Truthful and observant
8. Deceitful and amoral
Notes: If you decide to select two personality packages (see below) note that they are arranged in opposing pairs. Thus you could chose to be type 1 and 8 or 5 and 7, but not 1 and 2 or 5 and 6.
What are you interested in?
1. Woodlands, gardening, or farming
2. Animals, herding, riding
3. Socializing, community, people
4. Spirits and the invisible world
5. Being the best at everything
7. Trade and Communication
Notes: instead of selecting one of these, you can go back and pick a second set of personality traits.
Section One, "Your Nature"
1. Darkness 2. Water 3. Earth 4. Air 5. Fire
Section Two, "Your Personality"
1. Harmony 2. Disorder
3. Fertility 4. Death
5. Stasis 6. Motion
7. Truth 8. Illusion
Section Three "Your Interests"
The Missing Runes
This list is not complete. "Luck" and "Fate" are omitted, as they govern all lives equally. Likewise, "Chaos" and "Moon" are missing, as Heortlings who manifest those are exiled or killed.